Sunday, April 05, 2009

Passover Brownies

I don't know how many out there reading this blog are Jewish, but if I can save even one person from expensive, horrid boxed mix or dry homemade Passover brownies, this posting will be worthwhile!
If you do not celebrate Passover, you are totally unaware of the cardboard food we endure during the holiday. During the 8 days of Passover it is forbidden to eat any foods that
"have been made from the five major grains (wheat, rye, barley, oats and spelt) and has not been completely cooked within 18 minutes after coming into contact with water." Flour products come into this catagory. We do eat matzo
and have come up with any number of ways to manipulate the otherwise library paste ( it is only flour, water and salt) into tasty holiday dishes. Desserts are not usually one of those tasty dishes.

We like these brownies so much that the girls request them! Unheard of in Passover dessert circles!!!! (click on the photo to make bigger) I used dark cocoa this year. That is why my brownies are nearly black. In the past I've added KFP chocolate chips. I do not add nuts because my family doesn't like them. All in all though, MMM, MMM, GOOD!
(To really be fair, cardboard food only comes into play if you try to substitute the matzo and matzo products for your regular products that leaven. Ever since DH and I stopped eating bread and bread products, the only problem Passover posed for us is that we are required to eat matzo at the seder and that we want to eat the holiday foods we grew up with . Like any tradition we look forward to the foods of the holiday. Other than that, leaving out leavened food is not difficult to merge with our everyday diet. Meat and vegis and fruit have no leavening!)

5 comments:

stitchernow said...

Yum. They look good. Maybe I'll try making them this year. The boxed mixes are usually bad, with the exception of the muffin mixes (probably all that sugar!)
Thanks for the recipe. Happy Passover.

His Office, My Studio said...

YUM YUM! I wish I could give bread. I love Matzo and have since I was a kid. Hum? I must love cardboard too.

The Calico Cat said...

I bake a lot during Pesach, my recipes are all nut based...

The Calico Cat said...

We still have to Kasher our counters & bring out the Pesadik dishes, so no baking yet for me...

The Calico Quilter said...

Pedantic me has to ask: Why 18 minutes after contact with water? The brownies look delicious - there is no such thing as too chocolate-y!

Love to read about different food traditions - maybe you could tell non-Jewish cooks how to make a good matzo ball. It sounds like a delicious idea, but I have eaten a few in my life and they all had the consistency of tennis balls - just a little too tough.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails