Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Batik nickel quilt

The batik nickel quilt that I showed on my design wall has been in "row" form for at least 3 years. I have hung the rows on my design wall at various times over the last 3 years thinking I'd work on the quilt. Two weeks ago, I finally attached the rows together, hung the flimsy on the wall, sat down, inspected my work and was very pleased with myself. The next day, the NEXT day, I looked up and discovered that one of the blocks was assembled wrong.

See the middle top. It is supposed to look like a flying geese, not two half squares side by side! Now, I had looked at these blocks and rows for weeks and weeks. How did I miss it? I considered leaving the mistake because the block was in the center of the row. In the end I fixed it. I can't guarantee that I didn't curse and mumble but I did fix it.

Doesn't it look so much better? Here is the worse part. I went through the entire process...AGAIN....with a different block last week. Again, AFTER I had assembled the entire thing! If there are any more mistakes, I'm leaving them!

1 comment:

The Calico Quilter said...

Your batik quilt is lovely, and I completely understand the problem you had. Our ability to be selectively blind astounds me. I have a wall hanging that is partially hand quilted - up to the point where I looked at the block I was quilting and realized I pieced it wrong. I haven't got my nerve up yet to unbaste that portion, fix the block and start again. I'm glad you found the problems when you did. That would have driven you crazy later.


Related Posts with Thumbnails