Monday, November 06, 2006

(shiver) My first Post!!!








So here I am....Jumping feet first into the world of blogging! I have absolutely, without a doubt, no idea what I am doing! I keep checking back and forth to see if this is posting! I'm not completely sure why I am doing this but feel left out because everyone else is blogging! I go by the name Morah online. I've been doing so for so long now that if I used my real name noone would know who I am! So, I will remain Morah. I am a wife, mother, daughter, sister, preschool teacher, quilter, ....all of the things that count in life. I have been married for nearly 24 yrs. and have two grown daughters.

We are Ohioians stuck living on the coast in south Texas. It's not that Texas doesn't give us a good life, it's just that we still miss the northern climate and all the things we grew up with. We have been in Texas long enough that you'd think we'd be over it but we're not. Luckily we still have family in Ohio so go and visit at least once a year.

I love quilting and bought a Janome 6600 this year. I have been quilting up a storm ever since. My daughter was married last weekend and I made her chuppah (wedding canopy) with my new machine. The even feed feature helped the diamonds to come out great. I also quilted with a stenciled pattern for the first time on the chuppah. It is amazing what a great machine can do for your quilting. I do love to free motion and only wish that I had quilted with a pattern once or twice before doing it on such an important project. I think stippling is so relaxing and fun. I kept teasing my friend that planned out the quilting that she wouldn't allow me to stipple. She has a fantastic eye for patterns and was right but that didn't stop me from whinning!

The pictures posted are of the chuppah, detail of the quilting and the chuppah hanging. (no that is not me in the picture) We didn't use poles to hold it up but rather suspended it from the ceiling. My husband was a bit like McGyver with paper clips and fishing line. I then hung ribbons from the edges to give it more definition. The wedding and reception were in the same room and my daughter had a vision that after the ceremony she would dance with her new husband under the chuppah and that is exactly what happened. It was lovely. The bottom of the close up looks a bit crooked but isn't really. The angle of the one photo is me laying down under the chuppah and looking up to take the picture. Seems that it wasn't a unique idea as my sister and daughter both did the same thing before me. I have been saying that I am going to enter this quilt in our local bi-annual quilt show. The deadline is Friday and I am a nervous wreck thinking of actually going through with it. Two years ago I wimped out and didn't enter my flip flop quilt and have been disappointed in myself every since. I am working really hard to not wimp this year but time is running out!

Ok, let's see how this posts. It took me a couple of hours to get it right. I don't know what I've gotten myself into but look out world!!! I'm here!!!!

6 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Great job! I saw the chuppah on your webshots page but didn't realize you'd made it for your daughter's wedding. It's beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogging! Nice job!

Sheila said...

Welcome to the blog world. Now you've got me curious about your real name! LOL

The chuppah is very pretty. Since most I've seen are newly made, I'm wondering if it's ever used for anything else in their married life?

Nancy said...

Hi Morah. Welcome to Blogland! Your daughters chuppah is lovely.

Miriam said...

beautiful chuppah morah! welcome to the blogoshpere!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I will look into Eleanor Burns method and ruler; it sounds interesting...thanks for the info. Your chuppah quilt it wonderful! I'm off to read the rest of your blog...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails