Saturday, October 04, 2008

The decision

Sort Of! You know me and the whole "don't show an entire project before it's finished but here is the middle to the table runner. I'm so tickled with the quilting on this.





Oh, It is not perfect. It wobbles a bit this way or that and my loops are not perfect but man! I knew I'd be able to work with this system. I've had this book by Pam Clarke called Quilting Inside the Lines. I have wanted a to try this system for some time now. It really does work. First I practiced on paper, then fabric and then my table runner. I don't have the stencil but may end up sending for it because it works! I'm not sure if you can tell, but I am thrilled. I'll show the whole thing once I bind it. Hey, and the best part is, Mrs. S's anniversary isn't until the end of the month!!!!
I do have two questions though....
How do I get better pictures of the quilting? Obviously my lighting is off.....Do I backlight? Make it brighter? Darker?
Should I fill in the background around the design? I filled all of the individual squares but didn't want to ruin anything so didn't do the cream background fabric. I'm leaning toward leaving it alone. I have big problems with scale when quilting that I don't want to mess it up.

3 comments:

Linda said...

What a beautiful bit of machine quilting, Morah! Isn't it wonderful to try something and be successful! One thing that I have learned in my quest to be a better quilter--a whiteboard and wipe off pen. I read about it in one of my machine quilting books and I really like it--doesn't waste paper and encourages me to make my designs bigger (which is my biggest problem, I get all squinchy!)
Happy quilting
Lurking Linda
stoleequilts@gmail.com

Elaine Adair said...

It's just fine like it is. And the design you quilted is perfect for the space. I've forgotten - did you use a DSM, or do you have access to a long/mid-arm?

I use a kids toy, a MagnaDoodle to practice lines, and keep it by my TV watching chair -- that's what I do during commercials, or during DH's clicking, clicking. It's a magnetic-type slate (similar to Etch a Sketch).

Lighting. (This works for me in MY house.) Turn off room lights and set a light away from the item to be photos. In other words, me, the item, and the light. When I take the photo, I don't use the flash, even though it's needed, and the light farthest away highlights the shadows of the quilting. Of course, you'll have to putz around getting it right! 8-)

Paula, the quilter said...

I started with the white board and dry erase markers, but then get a bit bored so I jump in with both feet. I still go back to the white board if I want to doodle something new. Sidelighting the quilt works very well. Think early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails