Saturday, September 27, 2008

Which?

After an unacceptable amount of agonizing, I finally came upon the perfect pattern for a table runner I am making. I searched all of my books, files and computer and finally hit on this pattern from The Happy Zombie. (I'll explain this gift in another post but some of the fabrics may look familiar) It fits the bill in so many ways....fast and easy being the most important. After I made all the blocks I realized that this is not the best combo of fabrics with the border print. There is something very fussy about it all. Here are the various settings and inner border combinations.



I think I like this setting best. It gives the eye a place to rest. But which inner border? Plus in the last photo you will see yet one more inner border option. I didn't remember that fabric until after all the others were taken and didn't feel like re-doing them all.
But then there are these two settings. In the original, this one has appliques in the center light squares. I would use leaves (or maybe even quilt in a contrasting color) but as Aunt Janice would say. This looks, "Ehh!"
This is my least favorite. Although it looks good in the picture it is sorta lacking something. I think it's not wide enough to really show the streaks of color. It just looks fussy to me. However if I do this pattern I am going to quilt leaves in the light streaks in contrasting thread.
This is just showing a third inner border option. Whatcha think? I cannot change the outer border. The entire runner is worked around it.

11 comments:

Three Birds Inspired said...

Since you asked...If you want to show off your quilting, go with the one with the light centers. I really like the addition of the lighter fabric on either side of the border print. I look forward to seeing it when it is finished!!

Joyce said...

I like the top one with the rust colored border but I guess it depends a bit on what you applique in the light areas.

Vicki W said...

I like the rust colored band the best too and either of the first 2 settings.

Gail said...

To my eye, the rust border blends nicely with everything, the green border stands out a bit and adds a little pop. The light border brings out color in the print that I didn't realize was there before, and also makes similar colors in the center make sense- before they had seemed a little out of place to me. (caveat: I'm prone to be matchy-matchy)

Anonymous said...

My vote is for the rust border first, and the lavender border second. I'm not sure I'd include the green border in my ranking. Regardless, of what you choose, it's looking good.

Elaine Adair said...

I like the first one also, but with the rust border. Very pretty!

Linda said...

I agree it's a sweet looking table runner. My vote is definitely for the rust. I think the first photo is the best "balanced"? It'll look great when you're done no matter what!
Lurker Linda

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I prefer the rust color over the green, but I think the lavender works better than both of them. The rust disappears a bit, but it depends on the setting you choose. All three settings are nice, but I prefer the first one.

Lynn E said...

I have to go with the lavender It brings out the lighter colors and in the border.

Linda said...

I like the first one - the colors pop out so nice! But... if you have a pretty stitch or applique you want to show off the 2nd one would be best. YOu did a wonderful job picking out fabric - they are beautiful together!
Linda

swooze said...

Which layout did you land on? They all have great possibilities!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails